Saturday, December 17, 2005

Jo'burg

Well we have had a good couple of days in Jo'burg, we hung out with Andrea and Roger from our Drifters tour. We went shopping and bought quite a few things including some Christmas Presents, we went to the Aparteid Museum, very confronting and very scary about all the things that happened during the period, the museum is very well done, lots of video footage.
We also did a 1/2 day tour of Soweto which included a drive through Jo'burg city. In Soweto we got to see the classes of houses - Upper, Middle and the Informal Settlements. Basically the Upper Class houses are home to Doctors and other professionals and celebrities. The Middle class houses are other workers. The middle class houses are usually 4 rooms - alots smaller then middle class houses. The informal settlements are lived in by people who don't have jobs they are room tin sheds, very tiny. In Soweto we went to Nelson Mandela's old house and the Hector Peterson Museum which were both very good. I enjoyed the visit, it was quite confronting.

Today we are leaving Africa and flying to Hong Kong. I am very sad to be leaving Africa I have enjoyed the 2 1/2 months we have been able to spend here. There is so much more that we want to see here, especially in South Africa, we bearly scratched the surface there.
However I am looking forward to seeing Hong Kong and the going to Singapore to see Dave's Aunt, Uncle and Cousins who live there as well as Dave's Grandparents who are coming from Australia. We will be having Christmas with them.

Merry Christmas to everyone. I am sure we will post again a couple of times before Christmas but I am sure some of you will start to head off on holidays if you haven't already.

Gaby
See our latest news!


See our latest news!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home