Monday, July 11, 2005

a quick Update

Thank you all for your emails and comments on our blog. we do enjoy reading all your emails even if we don't have time to reply. Sorry that we haven't updated the blog for a while, we are still alive and enjoying camp, it is keeping us very busy though. Our camp day starts at 7am and finishes between 6:45 and 8pm, except for every second friday where there is an overnighter so we don't finish until 10am on Saturday. It also takes us 25 minutes to get to camp from where we are staying so it is a really long day.
We have had 3 weeks of camp so far, Dave is keeping very busy being a head counselor (lots of responsibilty and paper work) as well as a group counselor (lots of time with campers). I am enjoying it as well, I am working at the Wilderness speciality camp so there are only 100 campers each session which gives me an opportunity to get to know some of the kids.

I teach a few different activities - Discovery Time, which is where the kids do an activity and then we talk about something from the bible, we are working our way through the fruit of the spirit; Survival Quest - making fires, collecting and purifying water; Advanced Survival - an elective (there are 4) I have taught so far Primative firemaking and signalling, I also play to teach map reading; Low Ropes - there is a low ropes course here and I facilitate this for the Teen Adventure Groups. I also run the camp store for wilderness and in the morning and afternoon do a bus route which means I am getting to see a bit of the local area and getting to know a few other kids.

Since being at Camp we have been on a camp organised field trip to Washington DC and this weekend camp is taking us to Six Flags America, a theme park. We were also supposed to go to Baltimore, but on the way there was an accident with one of the camp vans (not the one we were in) so we didn't end up going, fortunately no one was seriously hurt, Praise God.

We have been fortunate to have Bob and Jenny from church at home come and visit us. It was so nice to have them for dinner and show them around camp a bit.

Some of you are probably wondering where we are living, we are living in a block of camp owned apartments, there are 6 apartments, 4 are married couple accomodation (2 of who work at camp year round) and the other 2 are boys dorms (4 per unit). They are 1 bedroom apartments with a living area, kitchen and bathroom, big enough for what we need. The other couple are fellow Aussies from Perth so we have been having a great time getting to know them and the others in the apartments.

Better go finish my work before I go to dinner. Hopefully I can get Dave to post next and it will not be so long between posts.


See our latest news!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home